Welcome to Barbee's Blog!
A Window On My World

This is not a daily blog.
Posts will be published on occasion and irregularly as I am able.
Some of these posts are from my web site The Garden At Crocker Croft.
Barbee's Little Shop Is the sales branch of my blog and web site. divider

Saturday, March 22, 2008

What's A Croft?

The Crocker families sprang from Devonshire in Southwest England. In England it is not uncommon to hear something named or referred to as a croft. We of the U.S.A. are not so familiar with the term. I have had questions about the name I call our little property, so I collected a list of definitions from the Web. I think they will clear up the mystery.

Definitions of croft from the Web:

A small piece or parcel of land.
A little meadow near a dwellinghouse.

A small farm worked by a crofter.

A croft is a fenced or enclosed area of land, usually small and arable with a crofter's dwelling thereon.
A crofter is one who has tenure and use of the land.
An enclosed plot of land, often adjacent to a dwelling house.

A piece of enclosed ground, generally adjacent to a house, used for tillage or pasture.


Here are a few random photographs from ours.









To learn more about the garden at Crocker Croft from the beginning, click here: History of the Garden.




No comments: