Welcome to Barbee's Blog!
A Window On My World

This is not a daily blog.
Posts will be published on occasion and irregularly as I am able.
Some of these posts are from my web site The Garden At Crocker Croft.
Barbee's Little Shop Is the sales branch of my blog and web site. divider

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Kentucky and California


Very little is blooming here now. I have already shared the Eranthis with you. Other "little bulbs" will start soon. But, the plant that I am watching is the Helleborus foetidus. (Bearclaw hellebore, known by many other common names.)

As you can see it is still in bud. Should be open soon.


Most everything is as bare as this old black locust tree. Therefore, I do not have much to show you right now.



My sister-in-law lives in California and her back yard is full of beauty. She sent two lovely photos that I will post for you.

Her apricot tree is in full bloom and could not be prettier.

And, her Meyer lemon is loaded with fruit.

That reminds me: Today I ate the last of our Christmas fruit - an orange. When I was a child, fresh fruit was a large part of our Christmas. Today, many of us can go to the grocery store and buy fresh fruit the year round, much of it shipped from growers a long distance away. I guess that is why it is no longer valued, and, special during the Christmas holiday and celebration.

In our Christmas stockings that Santa filled, we were happy to find a big Red Delicious apple, an orange, a tangerine, assorted nuts in their shells, a pack of chewing gum, and assorted candies wrapped in cellophane or foil. Our children seemed to enjoy similar stockings.

Under the tree among our gifts was the rest of the Christmas candy, and usually a package each of dried dates, and figs. My mother made candied strips of grapefruit rind (The process made the house smell so good!). The blending of all those fragrant fruity and candy flavors with those of the fresh, green tree and mantle decoration was heavenly to smell!

She had four brothers and sisters. She told me at Christmas time her father, Papa, would bring home a whole long stalk of bananas and hang it in a closet. On Christmas day it was ready, so out of the closet it came to five pairs of eager shining eyes. A whole stalk of bananas sounds like a lot, but I am sure it didn't last long in a family of seven.

So, what do you give someone for Christmas who has everything they need? I suggested to our Daughter-by-love-and-marriage, that there is nothing we would enjoy more than fruit - and it is so traditional. That worked. Their older son (our oldest grandchild) is in the high school band, and they were selling fruit to raise funds for the band. We received boxes of wonderful oranges, grapefruit, and luscious pears.

The fruit stays cool in our garage up on the landing just outside the kitchen door. It was a luxury to open that door and have fruit right there. But, it is all gone now. That is OK; spring is just around the corner!

The seasons turn and new seasonal crops are on their way. Different crops in different areas; in this area we have asparagus and strawberries to look forward to. And, if we can't wait, we can always go to the grocer and buy some occasionally - a luxury I do not take for granted.



No comments: